Established in 1974 in the memory of the late Third King of Bhutan, Jigme Dorji Wangchuk, it is one of the oldest and most diverse National Parks of the country. Having applied for UNESCO recognition as a heritage site, this national park houses some of the most endangered species of animals like Snow Leopard, Asiatic Wild Dogs, Tiger, Himalayan Musk Deer, etc.
Trekking through this National Park is like witnessing Himalayan beauty in its purest form. Its magnificent landscapes comprises of boastful Himalayan peaks at a distance and alpine meadows covered with breathtakingly beautiful flora.
This National Park is known as a trekking haven as it witnesses a large number of international tourists, coming each year to experience the beauty of this place and to reach the monastery situated at the top. While the trail is not much difficult, but it may knock out anybody who is not experienced or doesn’t know the tips and tricks of hiking.
Unpreparedness can cost you big, especially when you are up for a long distance hiking trail in a national park. During this time you are completely on your own and rely heavily on your understanding of the environment and how you can convert unfavorable to something favorable.
To aid you with that, we have compiled a short list with which you can start planning for your adventure trip.
- Guiding Tools like Map, Compass or Navigator: If you are on a solo trip, then the importance of these tools cannot be emphasized any more. In group adventure trips as well, a map or a GPS system helps you pinpoint your exact location to calculate your distance from the nearest campsite or an emergency exit route. The advanced technology of GPS has made life much easier, however, it is always wise to carry a map and an old-fashioned compass as a backup.
- Proper arrangements for Food and Water: Food just not only supplies you with nutrition and energy for the hiking, but it also sometimes helps to keep up the morale. Some extra food carried can always come handy in cases of emergency or if in case you are kept out longer than expected. Just like food, intake of water is also extremely important and it should be monitored closely. Lack of water can cause dehydration, making you thirsty all the time and highly susceptible to hypothermia. It is one of the major causes of altitude sickness as well.
- First Aid Kit: It can be a wise decision to take a small course in First Aid with any local organization or from Red Cross Society, if you can. Also, get yourself a prepackaged First Aid Kit for yourself before any trip. These are generally available with the outfitters.
- Safety Items & Multi-Purpose Tools: A Flashlight or a portable Lamp is a must-have on these adventure hiking trips. It is also advisable to have something which can help you build a fire and a knife or a multi-purpose tool.
- Backpack & Clothing: For a trekking trip, a light-weight and easy to carry around backpack is like a God-send gift! It has to be comfortable to carry and must have an in-built ran cover so that everything stays dry and perfect if you are ever hit with a sudden rain or snow storm. If you are hiking through mountains and would most probably face drastic climate, then it is always good to dress up in layers. In this way you can adjust with the temperature accordingly. Different hiking trails require different clothing, and you should choose your attire accordingly. Avoid cotton clothes as they tend to seal the moisture close to your skin. To beat the scorching sun rays during the day, choose a sunscreen of high SPF and carry a hat.
- High-Quality Hiking Shoes: When you are out to buy trekking shoes, waterproof and sturdy are not the only features that you should look for. Best trekking shoes would allow you to maneuver through more complicated and technical terrain while carrying a heavy load on your back. Trekking shoes in India come in various brands, but some of the best ones are from those who are known for their superior quality hiking boots. Since footwear is of primary importance in any hiking or trekking expedition, a little investment is never a bad idea. Upon much research, we came across a perfect pair of hiking boots which can be perfect on short trails as well as sturdy enough to take you past a long trek. The QUIPCO Kanamo Waterproof Hiking Shoes are unisex and come in a wide range of foot sizes.
Scouting for hiking and travel gears can be tough, especially when you need to buy only the best because compromising on quality can lead to some serious troubles later. What if your tent fails to open up when you are planning to settle at a campsite or the sleeping bag you bought is not comfortable enough? To avoid such mishaps, always buy from a trusted source which specializes in dealing with hiking/trekking gears. You may also shop online premium travel and adventure gears from sites like Outdoor Travel Gears. Mumbai and Thane residents can visit their shop and check out some of the premium products they are offering.