Live Mint states that, “According to the June 2014 report by National Sample Survey Office (NSSO), tea is the most preferred drink of Indians and its consumption is growing rapidly.” This preference is driving a huge upsurge in the Café and Deli industry, as a result to which numerous Tea Cafe and Lounges are coming up with newer ways to serve customized tea to their customers.
In the past few years, in Delhi-NCR itself various Tea Cafes and Tea Lounges have come up with their offer, of not just a drink to have, but an experience to cherish. Sandesh C, the Chief Operating Officer at Chai Point, mentions that in India, the consumption of tea is 10 times over coffee, and this led them to build a brand around this popular beverage.
Big Questions Asked:
✓ Top Tea Lounges in Del-NCR and what’s driving their popularity (USP’s)?
✓ What are the renewed ways of Product Placement?
✓ What are the Growth Determinants of this industry to be considered by the new entrants?
- Apeejay Surrendra Group first forayed into this tea cafe business with Cha Bar in 2000. It was first started as an integral part of their iconic brand, Oxford Bookstore. According to them, customers could now leaf through their favorite books along with a cup of tea. Simply unwinding with friends sipping the rejuvenating beverage, iced or piping hot became the star attraction of this cafe.
- Oxford Bookstores’ sister company, Apeejay Tea’s Assam Plantations, provide them with the experience of blending and preparing the perfectly exotic drink after exhaustive research. This enables them to provide a personalized and an informed service in serving only a superior quality of tea.
- They follow the tradition of tea-serving as it is being followed across different cultures, with traditional teapots and serve wares sourced from different parts of the world.
- Their CSR initiatives are also worth mentioning as this catapult them as “thinkers” for the society.
- Opened in 2010, this is one of the most popular hangout spots for the youngsters in Gurgaon.
- Beautifully tucked in the natural and serene environment of the Leisure Valley, its ambience and decor too justifies and reflects its surroundings. Due to this, they always manage to score the highest ratings from their customers.
- Regarding their menu, their cutting chai is one of the famous tea-based beverages. Their drinks options are served along with a choice of breakfast and other side dish options.
- Apart from these, however, we can say that their primary USP is their reliance on the Solar Energy for their daily operations. In this way, they are taking care of the ecosystem by causing minimum harms to it.
- Its parent company Apki Pasand Tea Co. has been long catering to the tea enthusiasts since 1981. Currently managed by Mr. Sanjay Kapur, is a 3rd Generation Tea Tasters, who set up the Delhi’s first Tea Boutique to cater to the epicure and the tea connoisseurs. With praises for his blend of tea pouring from every corner of the world, his reputation and experience of over 4 decades as Master Tea Taster make his brand highly sought after.
- Their team of Tea Sommeliers presents a choice of more than 35 premium varieties of Indian tea, which is brewed in front of the visitors to enable them to soak into the charm and aroma of this drink.
- Highly recommended by BBC Travel Magazine and quoted by the Time Magazine’s Business and Pleasure Guide to Asia as carrying the ‘World’s Finest Tea Selections’.
- Promoted by Sunshine Tea House, it was founded in 2012 by a pair of IIT alumni, Nitin Saluja and Raghav Verma. As on date, this Gurgaon-based company has 8 cafes in Del-NCR, with an expansion plan of 15 to 17 stores in the NCR and another 25 in Bangalore, Mumbai and Pune over the next one-and-a-half years, as quoted by the Company CEO, Nitin Saluja in an interview to Mint.
- For them, the brownie point for the popularity of Chaayos is the option of customization. So much so, that the customers at Chaayos can customise their cup of chai in over 12,000 different ways! Now, that’s a whopping number of options to choose from.
- Recently tied up with Ola Cafes and local delivery company Grofers to tap the market of “Chai on Demand”.
- In and around since 2010, this was founded by Harvard graduate Amuleek Singh Bijral.
- They base their professional ethos on the fact that India is a tea-loving country and people of India always love having a piping hot cup of tea any time of the day. They do not believe in using pre-mixed teas and use only fresh and natural products while brewing each pot.
- Chai Point has fully forayed into Tea Home-Delivery in the cities like Gurgaon or Gurugram and Bangalore as now you can order from their Facebook Page as well.
Tea Is No Longer Just Chai! Renewed Ways of Tea Selling
Those who are in this Tea Cafe business, no longer only target the regular tea drinkers who step away from their desks for a cuppa. These cafes have come up with various innovative strategies to woo their clients.
- TEA – Offering various blends of Teas has always been a core to this industry. There are numerous brands which are offering various kinds of Tea to the Indian Tea lovers. Adding an extra edge to this is the Tea Subscription Box, where one can receive different sets of Tea blends on a monthly basis. With this, the companies aim to offer varieties to their customers as in most of the cases, such varieties are otherwise only seldom chosen by the buyers. In this way, they get introduced to many varieties and flavors of Tea.
- TEA CAFES- These are the new hangout places of the city, which has been quite successful in attracting the youngsters and the young working professionals.
- TEA HOME DELIVERY SERVICE- As we saw earlier, some of the Tea Cafes have gone ahead and made it possible for you sit and enjoy the cafe-served tea at the luxuries of your place. Now, you can also order some tea while simply browsing through Facebook!
- PACKAGED TEA DRINKS- Many Tea Cafes are offering Ready-to-use packaged Tea which you can carry along and have it anytime as you feel. You do not have to search for a Tea Cafe around for a simple cup of refreshing tea.
- TEA BLENDS/MIXES- It is the magic with which the Tea Masters can create such flavors and aroma in your cup. You can now buy such mixes and simply brew them back at your place. Such mixes save you a trip to the cafes when you simply want to relax in your pj’s.
- TEA-SNACKS- Often the Tea Cafes double up as a snack joint where you can simply tuck in a few bites when the hunger strikes. Accompanied with a cup of flavorful tea, snacks and the ambiance of the cafe makes the visit perfect for any tea-lover.
So, What Makes A Tea Cafe Popular?
Upon analysis of some of the top Tea Cafes in the top cities of the world, as well as in India, our team deduced that the following can be the major attributes of a popular Tea Café:
- Variety of Tea Blends.
- Snacks served along.
- Ambience of the Café.
- Serve wares.